Gruen VaultLearn more about Gruen's legacy
A Step in Time: Celebrating Gruen’s 75+ Years in Practice
Before there was Gruen Associates, our history began with the establishment of Victor Gruen Associates in 1946. The firm was composed of professionals from all fields of engineering, architecture and planning. As attention turned towards solving problems of modern urban areas for mass populations, Victor Gruen and his partners captured the minds of the architectural and planning world with their inventive concepts for shopping centers and mixed-use commercial centers, as well as their master plans for rebuilding the deteriorating downtown cores of major cities. They were motivated by a shared appreciation of the collaborative process, by complementary qualifications and experience, and by cultivating a community of professional purpose through mentorship and advocacy.
Today, as Gruen Associates, we continue to thrive on these cornerstone principles, bringing innovation to architecture, planning, interior design and landscape architecture. The Partners, and our Associates Group and staff remain committed to the principles of collaborative creativity—upon which the firm was founded—to plan, design and build projects that gain iconic status and shape communities.
Reflecting on more than 75 years in practice, the Gruen Vault was created to highlight the firm’s achievements throughout our decades of influence. The Gruen Vault will be a robust page that celebrates the monumental legacy of our founder Victor Gruen, the progression of Gruen Associates, our leaders, staff and colleagues. The page will also feature the growth of our industry through our ideas and solutions that continue to enhance our built community and profession.
- Victor Gruen, a Pioneer of Mall Architecture Across North America
- New project aims to close L.A. River bike path gap in the Valley
- Gruen’s Work on Notable Historic Tower Theatre
- Cheval Blanc Hotel Planned in Beverly Hills
- LVMH Unveils Plans for Cheval Blanc Beverly Hills
- Norma Merrick Sklarek Among 10 Pioneering African American Architects
- Architecting the Future: the Vision of Black Women
- Modernist Bank of America in Palm Springs is Modeled on a Le Corbusier Chapel
- U of M to Host Victor Gruen Event on Father of Southdale
- KCET’s Artbound Coverage of NOMA MAP (Gruen & AIALA Create NOMA Map)
- KCET’s Society & History of Victor Gruen’s Design of the Shopping Mall with Regret
- Gruen’s 2015 AIACC Firm Award-Winning Presentation to Board
- Gruen’s 2015 AIACC Firm Award Submission
- Victor Gruen – Register of His Papers in the Library of Congress
- Fresno, a City Reborn Link to YouTube Video
- The Valencia Plan in The Signal Newspaper
- The Father of the Shopping Mall in Reurbanist
- Fort Worth Plan of Tomorrow – 1956 Article
- Birth of a Building LA Times Article – Oct 1999